The Norovirus are a group of the viruses which cause stomach flu. Norovirus causes inflammation of the lining of stomach and intestines, vomiting and diarrhea. This disease was confirmed in students of a private school in Kakkanad after they exhibited symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea.
What are the symptoms?
The main symptoms of Norovirus infection are diarrhoea, abdominal pain, vomiting, fever, headache and body aches. If the vomiting and diarrhea become severe, the dehydration can occur, patient may become critically ill.
What to do if infected with Norovirus?
Norovirus sufferers can rest at home as per doctor’s advice. Drink ORS solution and the boiled water. If the condition of the patient worsens, specialist treatment should be taken immediately. As Norovirus can spread for two days after the illness, infected people should go out only after 2 days.
Norovirus Prevention measures
1. Personal hygiene is very important.
2. Wash the hands thoroughly with soap before eating and after going to the toilet.
3. The people who interact with the animals should be especially careful.
4. Chlorinate drinking water sources, wells, water storage tanks etc. with bleaching powder.
5. Use only boiled water for drinking.
6. Use fruits and vegetables only after washing them thoroughly.
7. Avoid using exposed food items.
8. Eat sea fish and shellfish like crab only after they are thoroughly cooked.
Source: Read Full Article