cities

Chandigarh: Coaching centre building catches fire

The fire began around 4.30 pm. The building housed an hotel management institute and sources said that fire started from a kitchen of the institute. However, the cause of the fire was yet to be known.

A fire broke out at a coaching centre located on the top floor of a hospital in NAC Manimajra on Wednesday. No injury or casualty was reported in the incident.

The fire began around 4.30 pm. The building housed an hotel management institute and sources said that fire started from a kitchen of the institute. However, the cause of the fire was yet to be known.

According to Chandigarh Fire department, the building lacked adequate equipment to combat fire incidents and many of the equipments installed in the building was outdated.

As many as three fire tenders rushed to the spot and the fire was under control by evening. The fire tenders faced issues while entering the parking lot. The entire belt was vacated of cars as the area was jampacked with vehicles which hindered the entrance of the fire tenders.

The ground floor of the building which housed an eye hospital, was also vacated following the incident.

Recently, the Chandigarh Administration had begun a drive to seal the coaching centres which lacked fire safety equipment. However, the drive fizzled out even as many coaching centres still do not comply by the fire safety norms.

Source: Read Full Article