celebrity

Prince William ‘set to snub BAFTAs’ this year leaving organisers ‘disappointed’

Prince William is believed to have declined to attend this weekend’s BAFTA awards, despite being president of the prestigious academy.

The star-studded event is set to take place at the Royal Albert Hall in London on Sunday 13 March.

As a result of William, 39, not attending, the prince will record a message in advance to the awards’ attendees which will be shown on the night.

William not attending the event is said to be a “big blow” for its organisers who have expressed their disappointment.

As to why the father-of-three won’t be there, it’s reportedly down to his busy schedule.

A source toldThe Mirror:“Prince William is always a huge draw, not least as it's the first year back in person after the pandemic, but BAFTA were told that diary constraints precluded him from attending in person this year.”

“It's such a shame and everyone is very disappointed,” they added.

The Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton usually attends the event alongside her husband, meaning it's likely she also won't be in attendance this weekend.

William was set to give a video message for last year’s awards, but he pulled out following the death of his grandfather, Prince Philip.

The Duke of Edinburgh passed away aged 99 on 9 April 2021, just a day before the prestigious awards ceremony took place.

Get exclusive celebrity stories and fabulous photoshoots straight to your inbox with OK!'s daily newsletter. You can sign up at the top of the page.

Prince William’s BAFTA snub comes afterhe’s believed to have clashed with the BBC yet again.

The Duke and the rest of the royals have had a strained relationship with the British broadcaster in recent years following the enquiry into Martin Bashir’s 1995 interview with the late Princess Diana, as well as last year’s controversial documentary, The Princes and the Press.

The most recent thing reported to have ruffled the royals’ feathers is the BBC’s upcoming TV series The Reckoning, based on Jimmy Savile.

The series will reportedly show a scene between Jimmy and Princess Diana. The pair met on a handful of occasions before Diana’s death in 1997.

In the new BBC drama,Steve Coogan will play the prolific paedophile. The series is expected to air later this year.

Discussing William’s disdain, a source toldThe Sun: “Prince William would have preferred not to see his mother feature alongside this vile monster at all.

“But he would be particularly displeased that it’s in a BBC show — and one that’s proved so controversial.”

They added: “Although Diana was one of the important people who Savile ingratiated himself with, there were many others whose influence played a greater part in him getting access to young people and hiding in plain sight.”

For all the latest on Prince William and The Royal Family, sign up to OK!'s brand new Royals newsletter.

Source: Read Full Article