celebrity

Gordon Ramsay ‘sued by US restaurant over unflattering video’

Gordon Ramsay is being sued by owners of a US restaurant, claiming his show Kitchen Nightmares portrayed it in a "false and negative light".

Cajun Conti, the parent company of New Orleans establishment Oceana Grill, filed a lawsuit in Orleans Parish Civil District Court on Wednesday.

The owners claim the celebrity chef and producers of Kitchen Nightmares have violated a previous agreement over their May 2011 appearance on the show by posting an old clip to Facebook last week, reports The Advocate.com .

The clip, shared on the Kitchen Nightmares’ Facebook page on 16 August, sees Gordon raising concerns over the storage temperature of crab and prawns, before smelling the latter and vomiting in a bin.

In the sequence, the owner Moe is seen complaining his chef Damian is "doing such a s**tty job", who was subsequently fired.

Kitchen Nightmares saw Gordon called in to help struggling restaurants and aired for six seasons on US network Fox, before it ended in 2014.

Lawyers for Cajun Conti alleged Gordon and producers staged scenes to exaggerate drama for the show.


The episode also featured scenes of diners returning dishes to the kitchen and the celebrity chef finding a mouse trap with three dead rodents.

Cajun Conti attempted to halt the episode’s broadcast and filed a lawsuit which resulted in an agreement that footage from the episode couldn’t be remixed in future without $10,000 payment to Oceana Grill.

The said agreement also required a disclaimer that the episode didn’t represent current kitchen conditions.

Cajun Conti says the Facebook video violates their previous agreement.

The lawsuit stated: "During the episode’s filming, defendants went to great lengths to over-dramatise and even fabricate problems with the restaurant in order to increase ratings.


"The footage intentionally portrayed Oceana and its employees in a patently false and negative light, as it depicted the appealing restaurant as an unsuccessful, unsanitary and mismanaged restaurant."

Daniel Davillier, attorney for Oceana Grill, told the Advocate: "The problem we have is the fact that it’s so misleading. People think it’s something current, when in fact it’s very old."

Since the show was aired seven years ago, Oceana Grill appears to be doing well and has predominantly five-star ratings on Tripadvisor.

Located in the French Quarter, the restaurant serves popular Louisiana cuisine, including po-boys, seafood platters, fish entrees and char-grilled oysters.

Mirror Online has contacted a spokesperson for Gordon for comment.

Source: Read Full Article